The mirrored decor in interiors of the Tbilisi buildings in the middle – second half of the 19th century

Школьна, Ольга Володимирівна (2022) The mirrored decor in interiors of the Tbilisi buildings in the middle – second half of the 19th century Східний світ (2). pp. 138-162. ISSN 1608-0599

[thumbnail of O_Shkolna_SS.pdf] Text
O_Shkolna_SS.pdf

Download (59MB)

Abstract

The article is devoted to the mirrored interiors of Georgia. The study examines the architectural monuments of Tiflis (now Tbilisi). The research is partly based on the materials of the author’s observations in Tbilisi and the interviews conducted by the author with the experts on Georgian architectural monuments in 2021. In the current capital of the country, several mirror halls connected to the lobby are located on the third floor of the Tbilisi Opera House (25 Rustaveli Street). They were made after a fire in 1874 in a newly constructed building at the end of the 19th century, reopened in 1896, with the elements of Persian and Neo-Moorish styles. The building, known in Tbilisi as the Arshakuni Palace, was commissioned by a wealthy Persian of Armenian descent during 1856–1860. Therefore, the scope for the ensemble of the Arshakuni Palace in Tbilisi was chosen to be truly imperial, shahic. Such a demanding decor of the environment here was enriched by the synthesis of faceted glass, carved alabaster of Iranian caliber, made by invited Qajar masters, in symbiosis with a synthetic pro-European exquisite alfrey painting interspersed with motifs of various Asian cultures (such as oriental potpourri). Today Arshakuni Palace belongs to the complex of buildings of the Tbilisi Academy of Arts, named after Apollo Kutateladze (22 Griboyedov Street). Adjacent to the same group of monuments are two mirror halls of the Vorontsov Palace, built in Tiflis in the middle of the 19th century by the legendary governor Mikhail Vorontsov (1782–1856, Caucasian governor 1844–1854). It is known that the prince tried to unite the elite of the region after the Russian occupation, and even tried to communicate and speak in Georgian. Ho�wever, although the building became such an outpost of the Russian Empire in the Caucasus, it acquired its final appearance after his governorship, when it was radically rebuilt between 1865 and 1868. The ballroom of this ensemble in 6 Rustaveli Street in its artistic and figurative and compositional-zonal component is extremely similar to the large hall of the building of the Tbilisi Academy of Arts named after Apollo Kutateladze with a stage on the second floor. It is also known about the mirror halls of Tiflis locations that are currently in private use, access to which is still limited. These are buildings in the historic center of the Old Town. In parti�cular, the home of the Persian mirror making master Abdullah on Harpukha (former district of Seydabad, founded in the 17th century by a descendant of Shah Abbas – Shah Sefi), and the house of Mirza Riza-khan in Sololaki (11 Chonkidze Street), most of the equipment of which is lost. The latter was decorated with mirror mosaics by Persian master Mirza Mohammad Kazwini. He may be descended from the legendary calligraphers of Kazvin who decorated the architecture of Tehran with verses and ornamented the Shah manuscripts of the Shakhid type. The legacy of these two mirror interiors of Tbilisi of the 19th century can be studied in detail from archival and field data over time.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Mirrored Interiors; Georgia; Tbilisi; 19th century; Neo-Moorish style
Subjects: Статті у наукометричних базах > Scopus
Статті у журналах > Фахові (входять до переліку фахових, затверджений МОН)
Divisions: Факультет образотворчого мистецтва і дизайну > Кафедра образотворчого мистецтва
Depositing User: Ольга Школьна
Date Deposited: 17 Oct 2022 14:25
Last Modified: 17 Oct 2022 14:25
URI: https://elibrary.kubg.edu.ua/id/eprint/41978

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item